Sunday, February 27, 2011

Transfer Update

We still have 12 embryos, five 8 cell, four 7 cell, one 6 cell, and two 5 cell all good quality. We're being pushed back to Tuesday for transfer which scares the heck out of me because we've never had anything make it that far before. Hopefully by Tuesday we'll still have at least two good ones to put back, maybe more to freeze, but to be honest, I'll just be happy to have anything to put back.

My mom asked why they would want to day 5, and I explained that they have higher rates of success with blastocyst transfer (and blastocyst should be where they are by Tuesday), and they can pick the better quality ones and possibly put back fewer. So what is a blastocyst? Here is what a site called Advanced Fertility says:

Definition of a blastocyst
•An embryo that has developed for five to seven days after fertilization and has 2 distinct cell types and a central cavity filled with fluid (blastocoel cavity).
•The cells in a blastocyst have just started to differentiate.
•The surface cells that surround the cavity (just under the outer shell) are called the trophectoderm and will later develop into the placenta.
•A more centrally located group of cells - the inner cell mass, will become the fetus.
It is thought that at the point of blastocyst stage (day 5-7) the embryos can be looked at to determine which would most be most competent and thus have the best chances of becoming a viable pregnancy.

I'm trying to take deep breaths and trust in these people that do it every day to make that judgement call on my embryos. I prayed last night and again this morning before the phone call that God would provide for us and that if a day 3 transfer was meant to be it would, and the same for a day 5, so I have to trust in Him as well to watch over our embies, and give me peace, and I guess if our embies fizzle out by Tuesday then that was how this was meant to be and we will be done trying (at least until maybe another opportunity presents itself).

5 comments:

  1. To still have 12 is so awesome! And a Day 5 transfer always terrified me too, but it's such a good sign! How great that they think they are such good quality. They're going to make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exiting! It must be hard not having any control over such thing but put trust in that the doctors are doing their best. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, our cycles were really similar this time. They tried to push us back to a 5 day transfer as well but we opted to go ahead with a 3 days since we already had everything arranged for child care and my hubs time off of work. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed that yours turns out the same way our has, A BFP and 5 in the freezer! GOOD LUCK!!! I will be stalking you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! That is a lot of little embies! Praying that they all keep growing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holding you and your embies in my prayers.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete