Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy ICLW & Day 10 IVF *edited*

My current followers will have to bear with me for a few minutes.

Happy ICLW!!! If this is your first time stumbling upon my little place in web space, welcome! I'm a 30 year old NICU nurse, and mom to a 4-year-old piece of work! DH is 34. We suffer from MFI, endometriosis, and hydrosalpinx (removed in Nov), and we're going through IVF #3 now. Our little boy was the most awesome result of our first cycle. Briefly after IVF #2 we explored adoption until our insurance changed and we were given the gift of another IVF cycle covered by them.

For a little overview of our blog and where to look if you want to know about something specifically with us, we started the blog with the adoption adventure back in May 2009. Insurance changed July 2010, hydrosalpinx issues and info start around October 2010, and IVF consults start about the same time. I hope some of you will stick around and follow us on our journey to complete our family. :)

Now, for the first part of today's IVF update. We're on day 10 of stims. My ultrasound this morning showed quite a few follicles-I couldn't count after 3 shifts in a row, and Dr. M was just happy we had a bunch. We are "triggerable" today based on my ultrasound. Most of my follicles were like 16mm-20mm with some smaller ones lagging behind. That said, I explained my situation with Parent's Day on Wednesday and they were willing to schedule me for a late retrieval, however, if I was the only retrieval that day, I'd have to be there at 8am for a 9am retrieval. To be honest, this clinic is HUGE in our area, and I had never considered the fact that I could be the only retrieval for that location on any given day. So, this still has the potential to get fouled up. That said, Dr. M said he could also possibly plan for a trigger tomorrow night with retrieval on Thursday which would work out perfectly (I think...who will give me my trigger shot if I have to take it tomorrow night when I'm at my agency shift at a hospital where I'm not staff brings up any number of questions like who will give it to me, what part of my body am I willing to expose to an almost complete stranger, who should I trust enough to stab me with a needle?!?!?)...Dr. M said that the only way he would have no choice on whether to trigger me tonight would be if my estradiol was skyrocketing, and then it would be out of his hands and we'd have to trigger tonight.

So, while I say Thursday would be perfect, it would only be perfect in that it would not require me to do much but call out of work for Thursday night. The trigger part would be a minor fiasco, however, if we do retrieval at 9am on Wednesday, that part would be a major fiasco while the trigger shot would be cake. Such is life right?!?! I'm anxiously awaiting the phone call from my nurse. I'll post later!

*edited to add* I spoke to my nurse, and my estradiol was 2800, so we can put off my ER for Thursday. I've got someone to watch Jack all lined up, and I switched the nights I'm supposed to work at my regular job so that I'm not using up time I could save for a potential maternity leave. It means losing a couple hundred dollars working at another hospital (I was supposed to work a different hospital on Tuesday night, but since I switched days at my regular job, I'll have to cancel that shift), but it's worth it in the long run. Yay for ER Thursday!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog post! Don't you just love greyhounds?! We adopted an ex-racer over a year ago and he's a great addition to our home. Good luck with IVF, you are so lucky to have it covered by insurance!!! :)
    *here for iclw*