Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Family Update

Ok, so I have to say that yes, our adoption is a huge thing for us right now, and this blog is obviously titled to reflect that. However, people who do not know us personally don't know much about us as a family, and my family is pretty darn important to me. So, in addition to blogging about our fundraising, status with our open adoption and trials and tribulations associated with that, I want to write about what is going on in our lives.

So, a brief update. If you want more of the back story with how in the world we got here, please read this post. Jack is doing great. He is now completely potty trained, we're only using pull-ups at night, and that is really just to use them up. My mom had said before we left for vacation that he was still occassionally having a wet pull up in the morning, but that hasn't happened for us in quite a while. This past week he started going to school 3 times a week instead of the normal 2. He likes school so much that sometimes on our way home from work in the morning, when I would pass the exit for his Gemma's house and his school, he would say, "Jack don't got to school today?" I would say, "No buddy, it's not your day." To which he would respond with tears and whining. I thought that hanging out with me all day was pretty cool, but evidently even at almost 3 friends are way cooler. Pity party for me! I guess I should be ecstatic that when I go to pick him up from school, he's all about seeing me and leaving right then to go home and play with me instead of his school friends. The fact that "Mommy, Daddy, Gemma, and Aunt Holly" are all his best friends is all pretty awesome. So I guess as much as it pains me to sit around wondering if he's having fun, paying attention and listening to his teachers, and missing him to bits, it really is healthy for him, and I'm just glad that he enjoys going there.

His school is a small Christian preschool, and he really looks forward to seeing his friends and teachers. He learns so much, and it never ceases to amaze me how much he knows and how smart he is. He's so social, intuitive, and caring, especially about whether people are happy or sad. Shoot, I get teary just sitting here thinking about how special our little miracle is. Archie and I just look at him doing something funny, cute or sweet, and we look at each other and immediately we know what the other is thinking..."Thank you God, we love this boy so much." We're not extremely religious which you will see if you look back at some previous posts, but we do believe in God, we do believe that He is the reason we have Jack, and we believe that He is the way to our next child. For some reason, which only He knows, it wasn't meant to be as easy for us to conceive as it is for others. We don't take any of it for granted. We love every moment that we have with Jack, and when we say our prayers at night with Jack, we pray that God helps us to stay healthy, and helps to lead us to the child meant to be placed with our family, and that whatever child comes to us will grow up to know love, their story, and their first family.

9 comments:

  1. Jack sure is a cutie! I'm glad he's doing so well in preschool. Show's you're a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the comment you left on my blog. It helps to know that other people out there understand that even after you have a baby, the IF feelings don't just go away.

    Jack is a cutie! I understand how torn you would feel about him wanting to go to school so much! I also get how appreciative and blessed you feel that you have him and how much you enjoy him. I could have written that part myself.

    Best of luck to you in adding another child to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack sounds like a wonderful little boy and it sounds like he is in a great preschool.

    I hope and pray your adoption goes smoothly.

    ~ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is a cutie. I hope the adoption process goes smoothly and you are placed with a wonderful child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really do start growing up and want to leave the nest, don't they!

    Love that you include your son on your plans and prayers to add to your family, even though he is still little.

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd definitely like to come back to your blog to see your adoption progress. My husband and I have decided to adopt as well about a year from now and we can't wait! Whether we have biological children or not, that's our goal. :)
    Good luck!

    (ICLW)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about children being a blessing - it's something I have learned through my own process. Wishing that Jack will have a sib and that the journey will go as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack is very cute, and I hope the adoption process for you is fast and happy. Good luck with everything.

    Have a good week.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack looks like a sweet boy! Good Luck with the adoption process!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete